People ask me all the time for my top suggestions for those new to apologetics. The good news is that there are far more books than I can list! Yet, here’s my top list for those who want to learn how to defend the faith.
I wish every Christian would read these books and discuss them!
- Mere Christianity, by C.S. Lewis – In this modern classic, Lewis makes a comprehensive case for Christianity beginning with the moral argument.
- More Than a Carpenter, by Sean and Josh McDowell – Told through the lens of Josh’s powerful story, MTAC makes a brief case for the resurrection, deity of Jesus, and the reliability of the New Testament.
- The Reason for God, by Tim Keller – With a pastoral heart, Keller makes a case for the Christian faith and addresses some of the top objections such as evil, hell, and the exclusivity of Christianity.
- The Case for Christ, by Lee Strobel – As a former atheist and journalist, Strobel interviews leading Christian thinkers on the historical evidence for Jesus.
- Cold Case Christianity, by J. Warner Wallace – As a former atheist and cold-case detective, Wallace looks at the historical Jesus through the lens of forensic science.
- Tactics: A Game Plan for Discussing Your Christian Convictions, by Greg Koukl – This book is not primarily about what Christians believe, but a game-plan for thoughtfully engaging others in dialogue.
Love Thy Body: Answering Hard Questions about Life and Sexuality, by Nancy Pearcey - She discusses transgenderism, abortion, euthanasia and other pressing moral issues and traces them to a dehumanizing view of the body.
- On Guard: Defending Your Faith with Reason and Precision, by William Lane Craig – Dr. Craig presents key arguments for the existence of God such as the cosmological, teleological, and moral as well as evidence for the resurrection of Jesus.
- Confronting Christianity: 12 Hard Questions for the World’s Largest Religion, by Rebecca McLaughlin – Slavery. Homophobia. Science. These are just a few of the pressing, timely issues McLaughlin tackles in her book.
- Evidence that Demands a Verdict, by Sean and Josh McDowell – This is a BIG book but offers an understandable and in-depth defense of the deity of Jesus, reliability of the Bible, and resurrection of Jesus.
I hope these are helpful. Read. Share. Discuss them with a friend!