SEAN MCDOWELL BLOG
Coming Soon: The Revised Apologetics Study Bible for StudentsPosted June 20, 2017 by Sean McDowell
Coming Soon: The Revised Apologetics Study Bible for Students
I have had the privilege of being part of many writing and curriculum projects. But there are a few that stand out in terms of how fun and impactful those projects have been. The Apologetics Study Bible for Students is at the top of my list. There are a few reasons why:
- It was fun to network with various youth workers and apologists to help create the content. The study Bible is truly the result of dozens of experts from various churches, schools, universities, and para-church organizations.
- Hundreds of leaders and students have told me how helpful the study Bible has been for their lives and ministries.
- The study Bible has received numerous excellent reviews.
Broadman & Holman first released the Apologetics Study Bible in 2008. When the former president of BH asked me to consider helping with a student version, I instantly thought, “Yes! What a great idea. I’m in.” After all, students do have real questions about God, the Bible, ethics, other religions, and more.
Here are some of the 132 questions we address in one-page articles throughout the Bible (there are many other features as well):
- Why does God allow evil?
- If I can’t see God, how do I know He is real?
- Can God’s love be reconciled with the order to kill the Canaanites?
- Is it okay to pick and choose my religious beliefs and practices?
- What does the Bible say about homosexuality?
- If God made everything, why shouldn’t I smoke pot?
The student apologetics Bible first released in 2010 and has sold over 160,000 copies. To be honest, this has blown away my expectations. This shows the hunger for both relevant and practical resources that tackle the real questions students are asking. On July 1 we are releasing an updated, expanded, and improved version. Here are a few ways the update will be different from the first version:
- Outdated articles have been removed or updated.
- Individual authors went through each of their articles and improved them substantially.
- There are 12 new articles on “hot” topics like tattoos, euthanasia, transgenderism, Islamic Jihad, religious freedom, singleness, race, and more.
- Each of the special features (Bones & Dirt, Tactics, Twisted Scriptures, Stories, and Fast Facts) have been expanded with 5-10 more articles.
Overall I am thrilled with the update and am grateful for all those who have helped make it a success. If you work with students in any capacity, this is a resource that just might be helpful for you.
Sean McDowell, Ph.D. is a professor of Christian Apologetics at Biola University, best-selling author, popular speaker, part-time high school teacher, and the Resident Scholar for Summit Ministries, California. Follow him on Twitter: @sean_mcdowell and his blog: seanmcdowell.org.